1. When afflicted with either a work or car accident, often times the victim suffers without seeking the appropriate help, thinking the pain will eventually go away. In doing so, the victim is not benefiting from services that can eliminate pain, restore function and lead the way to healing without actually costing him anything.
    The goal of this article is to expose and explain the steps that need to be taken following a work or car accident. This will help minimize the negative effects be it physical or psychological that such an injury can cause.
    In case of a work accident:
    1-Notify your employer or supervisor:
    Make sure to fill out a CNESST accident report and keep a copy for your records.
    2-See a doctor as soon as possible.
    You must see a doctor, even if it is a minor injury. In case of a work accident, tell the doctor that your pain is due to your work. Ask the doctor for a CNESST medical certificate. You will need it to make a claim to the CNESST. Give a copy of the CNESST medical certificate to your employer, send a copy to the CNESST & keep a copy for yourself. Make sure to always bring all documents related to your work accident to your follow-up medical appointment.
    3- Complete the Worker’s Claim form
    If you are absent from work for more than 14 days, if you have expenses to be reimbursed (parking, orthotics, ..) or if you need treatment such as physiotherapy, complete the Worker’s Claim form. You can download your form here https://amsclinic.ca/en/account-center/
    In case of a car accident:
    1-See a doctor as soon as possible.
    Tell the doctor that your pain is due to a car accident. Ask the doctor to fill out the SAAQ Medical Report. You will need it to make a claim to the SAAQ. Follow the treatments prescribed by the doctor such as physiotherapy. The SAAQ will pay for your physiotherapy treatments.
    2-Contact the SAAQ.
    Call the SAAQ at 1-800-361-7620 to report your accident and request the SAAQ claim form. They will give you a claim number and mail you the claim form. You can also go online to declare your accident and fill out the form at https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/accident-route
    It is crucial that a complete physical evaluation be done by a physiotherapist following a work or a car accident.
    Choose a rehabilitation center that is multidisciplinary. This means that the clinic should have health professionals from different fields available to see you such as doctors, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and psychologists. . This will make sure that all of your ailments will be efficiently addressed. Therefore the physical aspects of your condition can be addressed by the physiotherapist and acupuncturist, the functional aspects by the occupational therapist and eventually as needed the psychological aspects by the psychologist.
    The rehabilitation team will undertake a full evaluation and give you precious advice on how to quickly control and decrease pain while progressively increasing function.
    Make your rehabilitation your priority. You may or may not be prescribed to stop work due to your injuries. If so, the CNESST or SAAQ will continue paying your salary while you are off work and doing your rehabilitation. The CNESST or SAAQ will also pay for all medical expenses related to your injury. Even if the victim is still at work, he can still benefit from rehabilitation services after or during his working hours.
    To get more information on your rights as well as the step by step instructions following a work or car accident please email me at info@amsclinic.ca or call me at (514) 300-1031 ext 234.
    Richard Bouzaglou is a physiotherapist, member of the OPPQ, and rehabilitation director of the AMS Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation Centers – Montreal and AMS Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation Center – Montreal; 620 Lakeshore, Dorval, H9S 2B6 & 5950 Cote-des-Neiges, #240, Montreal, H3S 1Z6, Tel.514-300-1031, ext # 234.